- Half-elves are of human stock, and have features of both the elf and human parents. A half-elf can travel freely between most elven and human settlements, though occasionally prejudice will be a problem. The half-elf's life span is their biggest source of grief, however. A half-elf will outlive any human friends or relatives, but grow old too quickly to be a real part of elven society. Many half-elves deal with this by traveling frequently between the two societies, enjoying life as it comes; the best of both worlds." - 2nd Edition Monstrous Manual
Half elves usually take after their human parent. They are slightly shorter than your average human with a slightly lighter build. Males average 5’5”, 140lb; females average 5’0” 113lb. Half elves are easily identifiable by their semi-tapered ears, but if these are hidden they are difficult to distinguish from other humans.
Half elf males have similar facial hair to their human family, although they have sparse, if any, chest hair.
Both male and female half elves take after their elven parent in hair color, although this can be shades darker depending on the coloring of their human parent. A blond elf mixed with a black hair human produces a deep golden brown in their offspring.
Half-elves generally are infertile, with some rare exceptions.
Racial Info[edit | edit source]
2nd Edition[edit | edit source]
From Player's Option: Skills and Power (2e)
- Fey Ancestry: Half-elven characters have a 30% resistance to sleep and all charm-related spells.
- Racial Ability Requirements: Str 3/18, Dex 6/18, Con 6/18, Int 4/18, Wis 3/18, Cha 3/18, Per 3/18
- Class Restrictions: Cleric, Druid, Fighter, Ranger, Mage, specialist Wizard, Thief, or Bard.
- Multi-class Combinations: cleric (or druid)/fighter, cleric (or druid)/fighter/mage, cleric (or druid)/ranger, cleric (or druid)/mage, fighter/mage, fighter/thief, fighter/mage/thief, and mage/thief.
- Concealed Doors: Secret or concealed doors are difficult to hide from half-elves, just as they are from elves. Merely passing within 10 feet of a concealed door (one hidden by obstructing curtains, etc.) gives the half-elven character a one-in-six chance (roll a 1 on 1d6) of spotting it. If the character is actively seeking to discover hidden doors, he has a one-in-three chance (roll a 1 or 2 on 1d6) of spotting a secret door (one constructed to be undetectable) and a one-in-two chance (roll a 1, 2, or 3 on 1d6) of locating a concealed door.
5th Edition[edit | edit source]
- Ability Score Increase: Your Charisma score increases by 2, and two other ability scores of your choice each increase by 1.
- Age: Half-elves age at much the same rate as humans, reaching adulthood at the age of 20. They live much longer than humans, however, often exceeding 180 years.
- Alignment: Half-elves share the chaotic bent of their elven heritage. They both value personal freedom and creative expression, demonstrating neither love of leaders nor desire for followers. They chafe at rules, resent others' demands, and sometimes prove unreliable, or at least unpredictable. They are good and evil in equal numbers, a trait they share with their human parents.
- Size & Speed: Same as Humans (Arcadian Lore as Half-Elves being shorter than Humans)
- Darkvision: Can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. Can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
- Fey Ancestry: You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can't put you to sleep.
- Languages: You can read, speak, and write Common, Elven, and one language of your choice.
- Half-Elf Versatility: Choose one of the following traits:
- Skill Versatility (General): You gain proficiency in two skills of your choice.
- Elf Weapon Training (High or Wood Elf Heritage): You have proficiency with the longsword, shortsword, shortbow, and longbow.
- Cantrip (High Elf Heritage): You know one cantrip of your choice from the wizard spell list. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for it.
- Fleet of Foot (Wood Elf Heritage): Your base walking speed increases to 35 feet.
- Mask of the Wild (Wood Elf Heritage): You can attempt to hide even when you are only lightly obscured by foliage, heavy rain, falling snow, mist, and other natural phenomena.
- Drow Magic (Dark Elf Heritage): You know the Dancing Lights cantrip. When you reach 3rd level, you can cast Faerie Fire once, and it recharges after a long rest. When you reach 5th level, you can cast Darkness once, and it recharges after a long rest. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells.
- Swim Speed (Sea Elf Heritage): You have a swimming speed of 30 feet.
Player Characters[edit | edit source]